" FINISH THE RACE "

It was a pretty important 110 low hurdles race for me, this one would determine who would be going to the State High School finals....I was nervous but ready! I had trained all season for this and was prepared to give it my all! Runners take your mark...get set...BANG! Off I went, all 5 foot 3' of me. Too short to fit 3 strides between each hurdle so I ran 4, alternating legs as I jumped!
Down the track I flew...six, seven, eight. It was looking good I had the advantage and was neck and neck with the other five, pulling out in a bit of a lead.I could hear the crys of the crowd cheering me on! Go Keli Go!! 
When sadly my worst nightmare on the track realized itself! Clipping the ninth hurdle with my spike...DOWN I went, tumbling and finally sliding to a halt on the asphalt track, right before the 10th hurdle!! 

Sitting dazed and in a bloddy heap at this point, I hear a voice high above the maddening crowd...yelling "FINISH, GET UP AND FINISH THE RACE"!! 

In my dazed and extremely defeated stupor I do the very thing being asked of me! I got up figured out a way to jump that #10 hurdle...and FINISHED the race! 

I knew I wasn't a contender any longer and to be quit honest at the time not sure WHY I was compelled to follow that voice yelling above all other ones that day....

BUT she did. She knew I would contend again...ONLY if I had the courage to finish this race.

That voice...well that was my amazing Mom! 

One of the greatest fans I have been blessed with in this life! The voice in all my 51 years cheering me on and believing in me, even when I didn't! 

That beautiful voice echoing in my heart and mind to...

 "Finish and to finish well!


I love you Mom!

my sweet mom!




(left to right) joni, carolyn and me being silly, at one of our many WCS-HS Track meets!

PS...i did run again!! :)


in the bible, 2Timothy 4 says...
But I want you to keep your head no matter what happens. Don’t give up when times are hard. Work to spread the good news. Do everything God has given you to do.I am already being poured out like a drink offering. The time when I will leave is near.  I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. 



Comments

Popular Posts