Don't Look Away...




It was a busy day, late in the afternoon. I had been running errands, running kids everywhere. But in the middle of the busyness I decided to make a quick stop. I love the fall and I'm having a house full of people in next week, so I went to Pier One, a favorite store to pick up a few nice smelling candles and just some fun fall decorating things. Even the store was full of lively shoppers gathering up their autumn goods. 
Heading home I approached a stop sign and as I did I could see that there was someone standing on the corner with a sign. With out looking directly, I could see in my peripheral vision there was a family and not needing to read the sign, knew they were in some sort of need, requesting help, I'm sure.
In that moment I made the decision to look away, choosing not to meet the eyes of the needy person holding the sign. You know what I'm talking about, we've all done it... I was happy, I had beautiful new things to take home and put in my lovely house, preparations to make for my church friends to come visit. This was just not a good time for me to be interrupted by someone else's need! 

Look away! 

So I did and drove away, never once meeting those needy eyes. There just was not time for this. But the further I got from them the more my  heart began to ache, because I really did see! Maybe I didn't see her eyes, but I saw. I saw a little baby, I saw a little toddler, I saw a woman who had courage to stand on the corner with the sign pleading for help. What kind of courage does it take for a mother to stand on a corner and BEG? 

So I turned, I turned around....returning to that corner of need, to confront those pleading eyes. Not sure at all what I would be confronting, but feeling compelled. 

What I found was  a Croatian family and the husbands papers had run out and they had recently been turned out of their living situation. They were proactively trying to help improve their situation, but basically needed staples to get them through. I asked what they needed and was able to run to Publix and get a little gift card for food, and picking up some supplies to help them get through a couple of days. I too was able to share with them a few ideas of some places in town that I thought would be helpful to shelter them. They were two of the most gracious people. They were so appreciative of what I had done. As we parted ways the husband said to me, "you have done too much!" and with deep gratitude bent and kissed my hand thank you.

I am glad I went back, Im glad I confronted those needy eyes, because I am more the richer for having stopped.

I wasn't able to solve their problems or fix their situation, but I do think I was able to bring them hope. Not just in the supplies i gave, but taking a moment to let two needy people know they are not alone.

I think sometimes all we really need is a little hope to give us courage to face another day. 


jesus said...

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in...

‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." matt 25:31



Comments

Popular Posts